Houses and their Initial Conditions, pre- and post-Entry

Alchemization system? Procedural generation? Echeladders?
Discuss some stuff concerning typical Sburb-mechanics and how to implement them.

Houses and their Initial Conditions, pre- and post-Entry

Postby Legendary » Sun 17. Apr 2011, 09:51

Every player needs to start in a house, obviously. So let's talk about it! This thread will ignore generated item placement. That is something that should be discussed at another time, when I am not drinking Mike's Hard. Or when we're further along in the coding and are actually worried about inventory.

Factor one: Size

Every house is a different size. This is OBVIOUS to anyone who isn't completely mental. Between the humans and trolls there seem to be three consistent house sizes:

1- Single house. This house should be a couple stories tall with several rooms per floor, or have the equivalent volume thereof. John, Rose, and nearly every troll except Sollux and Kanaya meet this description. Yes, even Vriska and Equius. Note that Vriska's house had large amounts of barren staircases, for example. This house is simple in concept, so let's move on.

2- Apartment. This house is many stories tall and is designed for multiple people to live on every floor. Dave and Sollux live in apartments. This is a big problem right here! The best way to handle these buildings, if at all, is to assume that everyone else moved out and packed up most of their possessions long ago! In fact, the apartment walls should only be damageable in the area the player himself lives in, and perhaps using the main entrance deposits the playeron a landing with the option to take more stairs up to the roof or to enter their personal apartment. Otherwise there is a shitton of stuff that needs to be made in every apartment and this player is hugely advantaged because of all the varieties of loot he starts with!

3- Hero of Space Tower. This house is a spire with several floors and rooms stretching out in the four isometric directions. Because of how crammed these places often get, I am beginning to think I should make an entire section just to handle all the weirdness involved in being the Hero of Space. However, these should automatically be given to the Hero of Space and no one else.

Factor two: Skaianet connection

I suggest that like Rose, one (or more) players in every session should have their house next to a Skaianet lab and connected to it via secret passages, teleportation, lead zeppelins, whatever. This gives a server player something to do before entry, and should perhaps be encouraged. Bluh, ANOTHER section. I am going to be making so many posts. I swear it is unfunny.

Anyway, Skaianet's labs should probably be exactly what Rose experiences, the only differences being the guardian's bedrooms. Bluh, Guardians. We need to cover those at some point too.

Factor three: World integration

Obviously, at some point these houses are going to be dumped onto a world. I will make proposals about the specifics of world generation in other places (OH MY GOD. DIVIDING THIS INTO PIECES ISN'T WORKING) but I will note one fact now: Every house should placed on an island, relatively far away from the rest of the world; or a plateau, high above the clouds; or some other "can't pass" situation. This stops client players from running off to their Denizen palaces and getting killed like little girls.

The houses also need to adapt to the gates as well. Since I am currently using the Gates thread to discuss movement between gates, I will cover that here. As noted, houses are going to come in different heights. Gates should be constants, though, in their relation to each house. Say the first gate is five floors above the highest floor in the house when it enters, and the second gate is ten floors above that, and the third ten above that, or whatever. The exact number can be determined later when we're trying to figure out what's fun. You guys all get what I'm saying though, right?

Anyway I think we're done here. Comments, concerns, whatever? Please guys, let's talk about this stuff! I wanna hear what other people think about this so when we have an engine we can jump straight into coding instead of fighting over details.
Legendary

by Advertising » Sun 17. Apr 2011, 09:51

Advertising

Re: Houses and their Initial Conditions, pre- and post-Entry

Postby immortius » Sun 17. Apr 2011, 12:01

Legendary wrote:Factor two: Skaianet connection

I suggest that like Rose, one (or more) players in every session should have their house next to a Skaianet lab and connected to it via secret passages, teleportation, lead zeppelins, whatever. This gives a server player something to do before entry, and should perhaps be encouraged. Bluh, ANOTHER section. I am going to be making so many posts. I swear it is unfunny.

Extending on this, there should be a semi-random natural order to how people should enter based on the increasingly complex environments and challenges that are their homes.
immortius

Re: Houses and their Initial Conditions, pre- and post-Entry

Postby vgfdjn » Tue 5. Mar 2013, 09:02

Wow this is a great resource.. I’m enjoying it.. good article

buy tera gold
vgfdjn

Return to Game Mechanics