How to keep players invested

Alchemization system? Procedural generation? Echeladders?
Discuss some stuff concerning typical Sburb-mechanics and how to implement them.

Re: How to keep players invested

Postby Interloper » Thu 14. Apr 2011, 10:41

Wait, where was it implied Kanaya used the Black Queen's ring to light the Forge?

Also, the Skaian quest beds are for their Dream selves to appear on, would they even work for ascension? Given ascension is supposed to make you appear on the battlefield?

And I thought it was stated you could only reach the God Tiers if you were at the top of your echeladder.
Interloper

by Advertising » Thu 14. Apr 2011, 10:41

Advertising

Postby Legendary » Thu 14. Apr 2011, 20:48

Interloper wrote:Wait, where was it implied Kanaya used the Black Queen's ring to light the Forge?

Also, the Skaian quest beds are for their Dream selves to appear on, would they even work for ascension? Given ascension is supposed to make you appear on the battlefield?

And I thought it was stated you could only reach the God Tiers if you were at the top of your echeladder.

I'm not quite sure about the first one myself, I have just seen several other people say so and as it is hard for me to trace all the long pesterlogs (especially Trollian!), I took it as given. It's possible she didn't, I did note it was only an implication!

The Skaian Quest Beds, well it's hard to say exactly WHAT they're up to. John's Dreamself teleported there after Prospit was destroyed but John was awake, suggesting that one of their definite functions is a back-up bed for at least the Prospit dreamers. However, for the purposes of gameplay, this seems like an alternate, but also fair way to allow Prospit dreamers to get the same kind of obvious exploit that the Derse dreamers possess. If no one likes it, the binary "Prospit OR Derse" technique is still available, and rather interesting in its implications!

I was referring to the way that Vriska said "You might have gained all the levels, but you didn't gain ALL the levels." That's all.
Legendary

Postby Teshik » Sat 14. May 2011, 22:13

Within a single game, the player will be facing only a few types of monsters. Granted, because of prototyping, the difference between imps in 2 games will be wildly different, but within the same game, they'll all be the same.

So we must consider we only have so many creature types to deal with : imps, giant imps, chess pieces, and maybe a few more.
Going from one planet to the other will grant a much needed change of scenery, but the enemies will remain static.

One of the main reasons to keep playing within ONE session would be adequate leveling of your enemies. Since you get stronger climbing your Echeladder, and get stronger items, your enemies need powerups as well - within balancing of course.

Let's take the canon as example. John, the Greentike (lowes Echeladder rung / Level 1), would be facing Level 1 imps, other enemies are too powerful yet. After some leveling and going through the first gate (ignoring the ogres at the moment, I'm assuming John spent too much time futzing around with his sylladex and too few time to actually leveling), John, Boy Skylark or whatever (Let's pretend this is Level 5) now meets Level 4 to Level 6 imps on the planet, which means some are easier to kill, some a little more challenging. At around Level 10, you meet your first Basilisk. Level ranges can show the player where he's supposed to be (For example, the Underlings and monsters around the Denizen should suitable intimidate a Level 1 player).

Later, John returns to his home. Rose meanwhile has entered, which results in his monsters being a) prototyped and b) levelled up a bit, to reflect the imps won't merely get a graphical upgrade with their prototyping. Player 1 / John can now advance to those stronger enemies, gaining echeladder levels, or abscond to Roses planet, where the imps are still nice and easy - since it would be unfair to subject Rose to whatever John's level is up to now. This nudges you, but doesn't force you to team up on Planet 2.
Teshik

Previous

Return to Game Mechanics