The Gates

Alchemization system? Procedural generation? Echeladders?
Discuss some stuff concerning typical Sburb-mechanics and how to implement them.

Re: The Gates

Postby The Cool » Tue 17. May 2011, 01:28

so in the stack of gates arranged vertically over johns houe
the second from the bottom
is NOT "john's second gate"

correct?

so is it the output of a return node?
i guess that would make sense...
but then why build your house all the way...
not to ascend through your gates (since those are apparently scattered throughout the land), but simply not to fall to your death?
The Cool

by Advertising » Tue 17. May 2011, 01:28

Advertising

Postby Legendary » Wed 18. May 2011, 00:34

It is the output of Jade's second gate. The third from the bottom is her third gate. The next two are Dave's fourth and fifth; the final two are Rose's. A server builds the house not to avoid the client's death but to avoid the deaths of everyone else, including him or herself.
Legendary

Postby immortius » Wed 18. May 2011, 13:03

This seems to be missed a bit, but you aren't restricted to entering gates in order are you? There's nothing stopping a John from entering gate 2 on his planet to get to Rose's, then gate 2 on Rose's planet to get to Daves, etc?
immortius

Postby The Cool » Fri 20. May 2011, 04:26

that depends on wether roses gate two actually leads to daves house
we know gate four does from daves explanation so it depends on how the gate progression goes anyway
The Cool

Postby Teshik » Fri 20. May 2011, 16:08

Legendary wrote:Um, look again. Specifically here: Google LOWAS. The Second Gate is WAY away from John's house. He doesn't just go up. The nodes are for easy access to the alchemiters and other things that give players new weapons and other items. There's probably a lot of them, probably placed at regular intervals along the planet surface.

I stand corrected. That's what I get for only skimming the archive long enough to think my specific point is proven :roll:

immortius wrote:This seems to be missed a bit, but you aren't restricted to entering gates in order are you? There's nothing stopping a John from entering gate 2 on his planet to get to Rose's, then gate 2 on Rose's planet to get to Daves, etc?

You aren't exactly restricted, as John and Terezi have proven with his 7th gate. But it also showed (and I think we should at least consider it in a way during our own implementation) skipping six gates while being seriously underlevelled is kind of a baaaad idea.

Anyway. I think we have several options to choose, and we do have the option of switching the gates around during alpha phase if we notice it's bullshit.

To recap: Some points are consensus for the gates by now:

- There are seven gates above each player's house in the medium
- the seventh's gate leads the player to his/her Denizen
- there is a mechanism in the gates allowing players to visit the other Player Planets
- there are other gates besides the seven (return nodes and the like, and maybe even
- implicit, but in the game logic: since the number of players is not fixed, we need a mechanic that works for differently-sized sessions. Also: When the next in the player chain enters the medium, the gate mechanism changes to accomodate the new player (otherwise: if you try to enter a gate to, say, your server player's server player, who hasn't even connected yet, you'd be sent to Nirvana, since the planet doesn't exist yet, and the game can't know you're playing with three players).

Everything beyond those parameters isn't even that big a deal - pick a mechanism that meets the requirements above, add some sprinkling, and presto, since there's no "better" or "worse" here.
Teshik

Postby Legendary » Fri 20. May 2011, 21:51

It should be noted that "the seventh gate above the player's house leads to their Denizen" isn't necessarily true, I just realized. John went through that gate before Jade entered, and I believe Hussie has stated that players who aren't in yet are skipped. So at the time John's set up was: "LOWAS->LOLAR->LOLAR->LOHAC->LOHAC->LOWAS->Denizen", since there was no LOFAF. The way Hussie has stated it works canonically is that John would go through the seventh gate of Jade's house to reach his Denizen. Just a note.
Legendary

Postby darkDetective » Fri 5. Aug 2011, 08:28

Alright, I think this is one of those positions where it is better to not go canon just for the mechanics of multiple players. Don't forget, we aren't a game older than the universe itself that instantly creates mechanics to fit its users. XD

I think gate progression should be like this, which would also make sense to an extent for the troll canon, since obviously the human gate canon doesn't work with that.

1 = "dungeon" location in the world of said gate
2 = move to server players house
3 = move to players house on the server you host
4 = location of legendary weapon
5 = denizen

1 -> 2 -> 1 -> 3 -> 1 -> 4 -> 5

This would make it simple to travel between worlds, rather than a complicated arrow map that none of the new players will remember. It also accounts for the fact that those at the beginning of the chain will most likely not reach gate 4 by the time those at the end of the chain ascend. We will put in counter measures such as time limits or super bosses right before the gate if someone is building up too fast.
It also gives the players a place to find their legendary item. I think it makes sense that they would find it near the end but before reaching their denizen.
The standard "dungeons" wouldn't actually be dungeons, they would just be a place in said world that gives clues to the world's lore, and allow for a place to gain grist, experience, boonbucks, and equipment. An alternate way to do it is make 4 a connection to another chain, but I feel that would be better served if they maybe built that as a portal. That means they could connect whenever they wanted to as long as they had the grist.

Comments, questions, concerns?
darkDetective

Postby RensVandenBroek » Thu 27. Sep 2012, 10:20

Onbeperkt verrassing: www.lanvinshop.com

de kwaliteit is zeer goed. En de website is het bevorderen van hun producten aan deze dag, dus ze hebben zeer goede prijs en grote korting nu. Deze website verkopen ook Moncler jas en ga zo maar door. Ik hoop dat je een goede shopping humeur!
Groeten!
The Dsquared2 Belt
was first gift up to the public in 1993. but then it was not called the 90, it was called the Man Air Max 90 Dark-colored, fractious Gray, Nike Black and white, which is to compromise the action.Yellow featured a month long midsole Which Provided prodigious forefoot cushioning Which is comparable to today's saintliest shoes and the cheap nike air max 90 acres Also tumid crying a lot in the air max unit.Boasting classic lines and a proven colorway, this Nike Nike Air Max 2010 Kid Shoes
follows a pair of Kick That Differently colored dropped recently. Medium Grey pair like that, this one makes use of a reptilian print on the mudguard, leather and mesh on the increase everywhere else. A white sole, laces and tab over all help with contrast.
RensVandenBroek

Postby ElzbietaPeldiak » Sat 29. Sep 2012, 04:19

Onbeperkt verrassing: www.lanvinshop.com

de kwaliteit is zeer goed. En de website is het bevorderen van hun producten aan deze dag, dus ze hebben zeer goede prijs en grote korting nu. Deze website verkopen ook Moncler jas en ga zo maar door. Ik hoop dat je een goede shopping humeur!
Groeten!
Dsquared2 Hoodies
is not only a professional running shoes, but also a culture of shoes, because his unique streamline design, slightly retro look, lightweight design makes it popular with young people. Especially in the U.S. and Europe, Air Max 1 has become a symbol of fashion and culture, you can even see it on all kinds of extreme sports figure! Due to drop this coming Fall is a Nike Air Max 1 Safari Pack "Made Exclusively for the ladies out there. Will the pack include three Nike Air Max 1 models all done up with a safari print on a part of the upper. The three colors choices Which Will Be Made available are red / black / blue, purple / black / orange and black / red.
ElzbietaPeldiak

Previous

Return to Game Mechanics