Classes and Domains

Alchemization system? Procedural generation? Echeladders?
Discuss some stuff concerning typical Sburb-mechanics and how to implement them.

Re: Classes and Domains

Postby perplexingTheorist » Fri 15. Apr 2011, 05:11

Finally, it should be noted that in choosing domains for players, Space and Time are canonically essential! A two-player session would force the players into these because of the necessities involved in each (making a new universe; keeping the timeline going- however we implement that).

Noted.

While we are on the topic of more domains, here are a few other possibilities;
    Flame
    Earth
    Wind (I guess wind and breath are the same thing though)
    Ocean/water
    Despair (opposed to hope, it'd make things interesting.... Well actually, it's sorta the same thing as doom..)
    Death
    color
    Sound/harmonics (think control over wave functions. It could be a powerful class that requires a lot of skill to understand and play. I don't know, just a suggestion)
    Luck
perplexingTheorist

by Advertising » Fri 15. Apr 2011, 05:11

Advertising

Postby demosthenes2k8 » Fri 15. Apr 2011, 14:10

Finally, it should be noted that in choosing domains for players, Space and Time are canonically essential! A two-player session would force the players into these because of the necessities involved in each (making a new universe; keeping the timeline going- however we implement that).

Oh yeah, I almost forgot that...we need to make sure there's a way to do that. Maybe, all players have to be connected at the start of the game, and it checks to make sure that at least one got Time and Space, and if none did, then they get reassigned.
    Flame I thought of this too
    Earth Maybe, more like "Stone". How would this domain affect the game?
    Ocean/water Not a bad idea, but to make it sound better, try "Tides"
    Despair (opposed to hope, it'd make things interesting.... Well actually, it's sorta the same thing as doom..) Agreed, sounds too much like Doom
    Death Also the same as Doom
    color I don't see much of a point, although I suppose it could be used like the "Artist" idea I posted, in that you can recolor enemies to change what they drop, or color in holes to walk over them safely
    Sound/harmonics (think control over wave functions. It could be a powerful class that requires a lot of skill to understand and play. I don't know, just a suggestion) As awesome as it is, it would be really tough to implement it
    Luck This is basically what Light is in canon
demosthenes2k8

Postby AgentPaper » Sat 16. Apr 2011, 22:06

One thing to note: Every player should be able to function well on their own, no matter their class/title. Having a group that supports each other well is all fun and good, but remember that the players spend a good amount of time fighting on their own, so you can't have a "Saint of Nonviolence" or whatever that has lots of buffs and healing but no attacks.

Anyways, how the classes/titles work is going to depend a lot on how combat works, so I'd suggest starting a discussion on that before trying to take this too far.
Project Manger

If you have any questions for me, you can contact me via pesterchum as paperAgent.
AgentPaper

Postby perplexingTheorist » Mon 18. Apr 2011, 00:46

AgentPaper wrote:One thing to note: Every player should be able to function well on their own, no matter their class/title. Having a group that supports each other well is all fun and good, but remember that the players spend a good amount of time fighting on their own, so you can't have a "Saint of Nonviolence" or whatever that has lots of buffs and healing but no attacks.

Anyways, how the classes/titles work is going to depend a lot on how combat works, so I'd suggest starting a discussion on that before trying to take this too far.

Well it's like any game, character's get more specialized as they level. I mean like in mmorpgs like WOW a healer class is only good for healing at higher levels. Basically there would be certain points where everyone wouldn't be able to advance without help from their teammates. But, at lower levels you wouldn't need assistance because everything would be so easy to kill. As well, at the highest/higher levels you'd have special abilities that;d let you power through fights. But mid levels would require team cooperation. Or at least this is how I imagined it.
perplexingTheorist

Postby Legendary » Mon 18. Apr 2011, 01:04

Looking at the proposals about domains, I am thinking...

If Breath controls Air, then there are three classical elements remaining. Now, the thing about Blood is that we haven't had a lot of ideas there. I would like to suggest that perhaps it gets some liquid-controlling abilities, to account for a second element. That leaves us with only Flames and Earth (reworded to be one syllable like the other domains), which might be doable. If people can think of a cooler title for each that still logically reflects the element, we could throw those two in and have fourteen for certain.
Legendary

Postby AgentPaper » Mon 18. Apr 2011, 01:17

perplexingTheorist wrote:Well it's like any game, character's get more specialized as they level. I mean like in mmorpgs like WOW a healer class is only good for healing at higher levels. Basically there would be certain points where everyone wouldn't be able to advance without help from their teammates. But, at lower levels you wouldn't need assistance because everything would be so easy to kill. As well, at the highest/higher levels you'd have special abilities that;d let you power through fights. But mid levels would require team cooperation. Or at least this is how I imagined it.

Well that's essentially the situation I was trying to avoid. I'd much rather see something like, say, Diablo, where each class has it's strengths and weaknesses, and when put together are more than the sum of their parts, but if you split them up and have each one fend for itself, they don't just all die because they simply don't have the tools to fend for themselves.

Essentially, there should be no "healing class" or "tanking class". There should probably be classes that get healing abilities, and ones that can take a hit better than others, but not to the extreme of them not being able to operate in any other role. Just because a "Knight" is a lot tougher than a "Seer", that doesn't mean that the seer should die as soon as anything bigger than an Imp so much as looks at her, and it doesn't mean that the Knight should have to spend 2 hours chipping away at his denizen because all of his abilities revolve around keeping him alive.
Project Manger

If you have any questions for me, you can contact me via pesterchum as paperAgent.
AgentPaper

Postby perplexingTheorist » Mon 18. Apr 2011, 02:30

AgentPaper wrote:
perplexingTheorist wrote:Well it's like any game, character's get more specialized as they level. I mean like in mmorpgs like WOW a healer class is only good for healing at higher levels. Basically there would be certain points where everyone wouldn't be able to advance without help from their teammates. But, at lower levels you wouldn't need assistance because everything would be so easy to kill. As well, at the highest/higher levels you'd have special abilities that;d let you power through fights. But mid levels would require team cooperation. Or at least this is how I imagined it.

Well that's essentially the situation I was trying to avoid. I'd much rather see something like, say, Diablo, where each class has it's strengths and weaknesses, and when put together are more than the sum of their parts, but if you split them up and have each one fend for itself, they don't just all die because they simply don't have the tools to fend for themselves.

Essentially, there should be no "healing class" or "tanking class". There should probably be classes that get healing abilities, and ones that can take a hit better than others, but not to the extreme of them not being able to operate in any other role. Just because a "Knight" is a lot tougher than a "Seer", that doesn't mean that the seer should die as soon as anything bigger than an Imp so much as looks at her, and it doesn't mean that the Knight should have to spend 2 hours chipping away at his denizen because all of his abilities revolve around keeping him alive.

Well what I was trying to get at was that at the beginning levels and end levels it would be like you said, a more diablo like game play style. Yet, to encourage more inter-character gameplay and group "dungeoning" (for lack of a better work), I think that the middle levels should be more specialized. This would also allow them to learn how to build of off each other's strengths and weaknesses for the final battles. Basically it would be like an informal training period. I mean, rather having every one run in caring about them selfs during the final battle and having everyone die off because they chose to do their own thing, the group would be able to walk in with a strategy on how to take down bosses based on their strengths and weaknesses.
perplexingTheorist

Postby Interloper » Mon 18. Apr 2011, 04:34

The way I see it, it's the strife specibus that affects in-combat abilities and hence the traditional "class" stuff, domain and title are merely modifiers and powers. We've already seen how a Seer can be easily tougher than a knight, because their title affects who they are, not what they do. It's a modifier, not the sum total of their class.

demosthenes2k8 wrote:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot that...we need to make sure there's a way to do that. Maybe, all players have to be connected at the start of the game, and it checks to make sure that at least one got Time and Space, and if none did, then they get reassigned.

Players should all connect to a server at the start of the game, then begin in their houses, thus roles could be assigned at the start of the game
Then it's really easy:
Randomly assign space, then put that person in the Forge island tower
Then randomly assign time.
Continue on randomly assigning random roles.
Interloper

Previous

Return to Game Mechanics